Featured Post

1st Blog Anniversary!

Monday, December 28, 2020

Pulse

First things first, if you’re not one to be open-minded, then don’t even dare read this one. If you are, I suggest you read from beginning to end.

Pulse/pinterest.com
I’ve always loved reading manga until I got busy with my job for 3 years. Until recently, my fear of getting obsessed on reading them online got back just because I explored reading yuri (girls’ love), again. Well it’s not that I haven’t read a bunch of them in the past. But if you have read my review on Gameboys, I mentioned that I thought yaoi (boys’ love) was always that hardcore. That’s what I thought on yuri too. Ever since I started reading yuri, I always ended up with stories that focused on love and sex but with no proper plots or twists. Except for Citrus which was on going by the time I first read it, but I wasn’t really able to read along in those years.

I recently just got back to reading and tried to check if I still remembered those yuri stories that I read in the past haha. I specifically filtered the genres with adult, mature, SMUT, yuri, sometimes with one shot on the website. While I was browsing, I read some of them and got really bored because its either some of the plots didn’t sit right with me, got loopholes or hanging, or some just really focused on the hardcore sex. And then I accidentally clicked on one story without reading the plot. There I found Pulse with its impressive graphics, which I thought was written by a Korean. *quite a backstory there I know lol*

Pulse is a manga story by Thai author Ratana Satis. The story revolves around Dr. Mel Sievers, a surgeon who only uses sex as a tool for joy when she meets a girl named Lynn.

Now here are some pointers for the said story:

Impact.
If I were to compare Pulse based on the Japanese yuri stories that I’ve read, its more appealing and comfortable to read because of its openness to tell the story through the eyes of a lesbian without romanticizing it. In fact, I even felt like Mel can compete against the usual strong male protagonists. On the other hand, even if I’ve only read one shot Japanese yuri mangas and an unfinished series in the past, to me, their stories felt more restrained rather than open. When you read something, you always wanna feel the resolve of the characters progressively until it ends. Yet, they contained characters that were boxed in, making the reader also feel hesitant and awkward with the story because its yuri. 
 
pinterest.com

Graphics. When I opened the story, first thing that really caught my attention was the graphics (it’s an A+ that it was colored). First picture of Mel and I was already thirsty and gay for her *excuse my french lol*. Well just to warn you ahead it contains mature content so better be careful not to be caught reading it in public. Not only that, the bed scenes looked rather appealing to the eyes rather than lewd. But then again, that is not the focus of the story so make sure you keep an open mind if you do decide to read it. I mean hello, you’re a hypocrite if you think it’s disgusting without keeping an open mind.

mangago.me
Plot.
It actually feels kilig like any other story you’d read. I know I’ve been telling myself that I’m over the phase of digging romance stories. But this one is quite different in its own way. Kinda cheesy, yes. But it’s the right amount of cheesy that would make you think it’s cute rather than make you vomit. The pace is neither draggy, nor too fast, its smooth sailing with plot twists that were rightfully placed per chapter. Even character developments were also there as the story progresses. From start to finish, not a time is wasted in this story. Even the bonus volume wasn’t enough to keep me from being hung up and the whole thing is worth the 2nd read.

Message. I dunno with Ratana who just loves writing yuri, but for me there are important points that were given light and deserve to be acknowledged aside from the fact that I can’t help ogling at Mel.

What I love about the story is first, not only how love can utterly change someone, but how gender is never an issue. We all are humans, and we all are equal. But because of the standards the society has set, some people think men are the only ones who can dominate, protect or fight back. However, Mel shows that despite her gender, women can actually be a man of their own, even surpass men. She’s the epitome of that who also competes in the world of men.

Second, love here was not romanticized. Ratana did a good job of showing how love can be true and mature and not some cheesy romance that you gotta be a possessive freak while getting jealous all the time. That it is a choice if you get to be selfish or selfless when it comes to love.

Third, just read the whole thing. And you’ll see some other points that would make you think why it’s a good read. It’s for you to find out.

Remember, keep an open mind.


Writer,
Thin Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment