Featured Post

1st Blog Anniversary!

Friday, April 10, 2020

The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger



“Home is where the heart is. But my heart is here. So I must be home.”

Audrey Niffenegger’s The Time Traveler’s Wife is a romance science-fiction novel with a 2009 film adaptation starred by Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams. This is a kind of novel that will take you to the past, future and present, making you appreciate the here and now even more. A story that is literally a test of love through time.

The story is about Henry DeTamble, a librarian who time travels back and forth involuntarily, where he meets his wife, Clare Abshire, who is an artist. He time travels as she waits for him to come back to the present with unpredictable dangers along his travels.   

This story is not the cliché love story you’d find anywhere. The way the book was written is very comprehensible, and it’s not confusing. The dates and POVs are very helpful to keep track of the story that could make you picture out all the scenes and they all just come together at some point, making much more sense. Clare and Henry are both witty, so the two of them combined really makes the book an enjoyable read, except this book is not comical haha. This story radiates hope, love and sacrifice.

pinterest.com
Since I have watched the movie many times before I read the book itself, I had the idea of what it’s all about. I could say I really loved the movie. But when I read it after 6 years of hoarding, like what always happens, there’s more detail to the book than the movie itself. Somehow it had a more dramatic take on the story, compared to the book. Henry’s got this kind of humor that makes you laugh out loud, especially with Clare’s combined, which was not really given much light in the movie.

As we all know, the movie will never stay that 100% close to the book. But if it was given the justice it deserved, who are we to hate it right? What do you even expect, a hundred and twelve hours of watching the film adaptation you’ve read? However, the moment I read the book, it felt like the movie and the book were two different things. I mean I love the movie still despite reading the book already and it did give justice. But I just feel like the movie was a stand alone story, not based from the book and vice versa. Maybe because Henry’s wit wasn’t portrayed in the movie or the book was just too detailed to be in an hour or two of a movie . Or how different the movie and the book made me feel. But it’s still good nonetheless.

What I like about the book is it’s not that fast paced, but it’s not draggy either. Like you are being
pinterest.com
given a proper timeline of Henry’s time travels and how Clare met him and coped up with his absences. It’s not really one sided and some characters were given more focus compared to movie, where the people who are entangled in their lives were given more narrative. Each of Clare’s and Henry’s history was more explained and made more sense as you flip through each page. Maybe this is why no matter how good the movie is, nothing could really beat the book itself.

Surprisingly, the love scenes in the book didn’t sound so vulgar and sexual. I mean some parts were really written outright, but it felt more romantic and sweet for Henry and Clare. But some love scenes sounded funny though haha. It’s one of the perfect ways to describe lovemaking through a book.

The story got me really hooked on Henry’s wit, that made me love his character. The kind of man that would make you want for yourself, except the time travel of course. He made me laugh and cry. Whenever something off is about to come it felt like it was balanced with his humor. They have this kind of love that literally goes through by the test of time. They show us the longing and pain of waiting takes you to a level of how real love is.

It really made me cry towards the end. I was expecting that maybe the movie and the book could’ve had at least different endings, but I was wrong. It was heartwarming but at the same time you can’t help but feel sad. It’s a mix of emotions really. I loved the book despite it being thick.

So if you’re into romance, with a hint of sci-fi this is really for you. This is definitely a must read. No worries, this is not an alien invasion slash love story. It focuses more on the time travels, the in-betweens and love story of Henry and Clare. Even if you’re not that patient to thick and small fonted books and might get discouraged haha, it’s really worth the days and various positions of reading. It’s even worth the years of hoarding *I mean waiting* before I got to read it.

So I give this book a 4.8 rating.

“He is coming, and I am here.”  

       

P.S. I suggest you watch the movie too. Though not everything was put into screen because like I said, you don’t really want to watch a hundred and twelve-hour film adaptation right? And I hope you’d love the book and the movie like I did.


Writer,
Thin Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment