Featured Post

1st Blog Anniversary!

Monday, September 14, 2020

Every day by David Levithan

“For everyone else, there always seemed a tomorrow together. But not for me.”

David Levithan wrote A’s life with a twist through this young adult fantasy romance novel.

The story surrounds around A, who switches from one body to another, every day. A lives to his/her own rules until he/she meets Rhiannon.

NOTE: A doesn’t really have a specific gender since A didn’t have his/her own body right from the start so I’d be referring A by him/her at times.

The book was written through A’s perspective, which makes it an easier read on how he/she feels about switching bodies. It makes the reader curious about what happens the next day. Levithan wrote this in a fast-paced manner.

Every day actually reminds me of the K-drama, The Beauty inside, where the protagonist changes appearance every month, from her physical appearance, age, to her gender. But in contrast to A’s, she stays inside her own body and has to live with her current appearance for the time being. While A has to live every day, switching from one body to another, with different lives and genders but with the same age as his/hers.

When I first read this, I thought that I might’ve appreciated it more when I was younger or when I first bought this back in 2016. But as I went on reading, I realized that I won’t. I like Levithan’s idea on A’s character, especially he/she won’t even be sure whose life he’d/she’d be occupying next. To be brutally honest, I’m not really into the story and how the romance part was inserted as if it was there for the sake of it and Rhiannon’s character.

I would’ve preferred the story more if things between A and Rhiannon were kind of Studio Ghibli-ish and not some cheesy love story. I think Studio Ghibli fans would understand what I mean, but for nonfans, Studio Ghibli is known for movies where both protagonists didn’t need to be romantically involved and rather inspire and help each other in some aspects. I understand if A had his/her eyes on Rhiannon since there was something about her that made him/her look forward for tomorrow. But like I said, it would’ve been better if it wasn’t some cheesy romantic love story. The romance became too out of place for me.

For Rhiannon, I don’t like her character. I guess this is because I prefer stronger female characters. She seemed sweet and kind at first, but as the story went on, I just couldn’t fathom her. I mean who stays with a guy for so long just because he seemed like a lost boy when he can’t even treat you right, but can’t even stop being judgmental with someone who wants to be actually seen inside and not with the constant change on the outside?

“What’s your name today?” 


For me, her judgmental character is being hidden in her sweet, beautiful appearance through A’s eyes and because she is A’s love interest. So it’s as if Levithan discreetly makes you wanna like her because she is the love interest despite her character. But on the other hand, maybe this is Levithan’s way of saying that “love is blind.”

On the brighter side, what I love in the book is when A switches with different bodies and how he/she carries them on for a day even if its somehow seemed stressful. He shows us that every day, every person’s life and struggles vary from one another. My most favorite part was when he actually did something to save the life of the body he/she was in and it really touched me.

When I finished the last chapter, I was like, “that was it?” Only to find out those were bonus chapters prior to A’s meeting with Rhiannon. I am curious of what happens to A, especially on Someday, but not the strong urge to know what really happens. I also think Rhiannon’s perspective on Another Day would be a waste of time and a way of putting her on a better light. But then again, her character in Every day already made an impression on me.

Before writing this review I actually asked two friends who got to read this one, M (6 years younger than me) and C (2 years younger than me). I compared how they felt toward the book with mine.

C loved the book and was even touched with how it ended (like shedding a tear as she said), and that the ending seemed fitting. But M and I actually had the same thoughts on the book. I think romantics or teenagers are more likely to appreciate this book than those who are not into romantic slash cheesy fantasy young adult novels. If you’re not into cheesy stories like this, you’d probably won’t even want to finish it or maybe would just try to.

I give this book a 4.0 rating instead of a 3 point something since A switching into different bodies gave me a whole lot of perspective on how people’s lives could be so different.



Writer,

Thin Girl



No comments:

Post a Comment