Featured Post

1st Blog Anniversary!

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie


“Second to the right,” said Peter, “and straight on till morning.”

We’ve all had our own share of childhood, and I think not one is oblivious of Peter Pan. You may have watched him from Disney film adaptations, Peter Pan (1953) and Return to Neverland (2002), or the story books published from different publishing houses. The latest film adaptation was released on year 2015 titled “Pan.”

Peter Pan (1953)
https://www.pinterest.ph/
Peter Pan is an all-time fairy tale classic by James Matthew Barrie or better known as J.M. Barrie, both written as a novel and a play. Aside from the Disney and 2015 film adaptations, this has been an inspiration to various lyrics, plays and other films such as Hook (1991), Peter Pan (2003), and Once Upon a Time series. 

The story, as we all know, is about Peter Pan, who doesn’t grow up. No, crush that out. He’s rather a boy who simply does NOT WANT to grow up. He takes the Darlings, namely Wendy, John and Michael for an adventure in Neverland.

Peter Pan (2003)
www.pinterest.ph
For starters, the book is kind of different from the film adaptations, which we all know, happens most of the time. If you have watched some of them, you’re more likely to visualize while reading. Though, there are some discrepancies between the book and the film, especially on the story and how the characters were described. I think the closest (but still not that close) adaptation is Peter Pan (2003).

Since this is a classic novel, the way it was written is not as modern as you think. If you’re fond of reading classics, this might be an easy feat for you, but for those who are not that used to it like me (though I love classics too), it might take a little bit of your time to get the hang of it.

For a classic fairy tale for children, some parts were actually gruesome, and maybe that’s how kids in Barrie’s time wanted their fairy tales to be told, or that’s just how it reflects him. I was having 2nd thoughts if it really was gruesome. And yes, it was. I never expected that on a children’s book. The upside however, is that they were not written in a very detailed, gruesome way but through discreet choice of words such as, “struck true and deep.” Sounds fancy, but you get it.

The way Barrie wrote it can be a bit confusing sometimes, but if you read it again, you’d understand what he really meant. Every time he narrated, he mixed it with humor that sounded like he’s making side comments to every situation. If you watched a film, and there’s a voice narrating over what’s happening, it’s pretty much like that.

The characters in the book were given each of an identity which makes it more interesting. Like for example, the lost boys were described with their own character in the book. Unlike in the films, they couldn’t be given that much of an attention.

When I first picked this up at the store, I was really excited until my best friend had to burst my bubble saying,” oh as what I’ve heard, Peter Pan is quite selfish in the book.” Now that discouraged me because as I was reading, I couldn’t help but agree. He is conceited and cocky, but as I went on, I couldn’t help but be sad for him. It got me thinking that he’s just a boy who’s afraid to grow up but unconsciously needs someone’s care. As I’ve mentioned, each has a character of his own in the book, which could possibly make anyone sympathize from one character to another. 

“I don’t want to go to school and learn solemn things.”


Pan (2015)
https://www.pinterest.ph/
Towards the end, it made me realize that when children are young and innocent, they tend to be insensitive of their parents and somehow pursue whatever they want. Until they become parents and go through the same way they did.

As I was reading the first few chapters till halfway, I was so ready to rate it at 3.8. But when I finished it, I had a change of heart and made it 4.1 out of 5. The first few chapters might make you think of just finishing it, but halfway it gets thrilling and more fast paced that you can’t put it down.

This might be a bit different from what you would expect from the film adaptations, but despite the confusion and being annoyed at Peter Pan in the first few chapters, in the end, you’d realize as to why he could be so selfish at times. Nonetheless, I still love Peter.

So if you’re into twisted classic fairy tales without the cliché happy ending yet a fast paced one, this book is for you. And for those who want to try reading classics, this could be a good start for you to adjust on how some classical books are written.


Writer,
Thin Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment